We knew that ‘The Old Vicarage’ had undergone several periods of refurbishment over the years including what must have been a major refit in the early part of the 20th century. However, we could not precisely date this until removing some of the old Bakelite switches for restoration and rotten plaster that we found several yellowing pages of the Radio Times which had been inserted behind the plaster. These have a date of November the 22nd 1929. The switches date to this period as do the windows, so we assume with no other information that sometime around or shortly after the 22nd of November 1929, the Old Vicarage had its first major update since it was built in 1869.
The pages once straightened will go on show in the room where they were found.
Leave a comment